Thursday, May 27, 2010

Ethan Ruan

I think Ethan Ruan, a Taiwanese actor, is one of the sexiest men alive. Everything about him is fine, fine, FINE. Also, he does a great job of playing really excellent boyfriends in such dramas as "Wayward Kenting." Today I went to the park for another jog and I got to thinking. I love film for many reasons and as a media theorist, I understand film as an oversimplification, often an idealization of reality. This is precisely why I believe film has the power to shift the world as it is, to a world as it should be; and, it is an excellent predictor of where popular culture is progressing to. Hollywood and Asian dramas spend so much money on media works that send the message that love it worth the pain; that one day you (and me) too can find the love of our lives...and actors like ETHAN RUAN do a great job of convincing us that these messages are true and apply to our real lives!

But I am very eager to ask these questions to Ethan Ruan (or other romantic comedy actors, or folks who have been in successful long-term relationships): Does true romance exist? How do you make it happen? How does it happen?

Being involved in the gay community for quite some time (not only being in friend circles but also, of course, DATING), it's rare to find couples who have been together for a very long time. Further, often times when you see long-term relationships, partner commitment levels... well... waver. And I have to say THIS: no matter how much I think SEX is great, no matter how many sexual partners I may enjoy screwing around with, I absolutely, whole-heartedly, want to find this thing called ROMANCE and this thing called LOVE.

So how do I do it? And do it exist?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved his character in "Fated to love you."

CYW said...

I think we're all looking for it, even the cynical, embittered denialists. But I have no idea where it is.